News & Announcements

[Changes for recreational services]

Changes for recreational services & athletic and fitness facilities as of January 1, 2016

Changes in tax law take effect that simplify the taxation of “recreational services” and “athletic and fitness facilities. More...

[print reseller permits]

New feature allows businesses to print reseller permits

Misplaced your reseller permit? No worries. You can now view or print your reseller permit online through My Account!

[Surcharges added to restaurant bills]


Surcharges added to restaurant bills to cover “Living Wage,” as well as costs associated with the Affordable Care Act or other expenses are subject to retail sales tax and retailing B&O tax.

[Do you need to pay state taxes?]

Do you need to register as a business?

Maybe. If you receive a 1099-MISC Income form from someone you worked for, this indicates that you may be engaged in a business activity as an independent contractor.

[Sign up for a workshop! ]

Sign up for a workshop or webinar!

Learn the basics about Washington state taxes, unclaimed property, E-file and more by signing up for a workshop or webinar.


Did you get a call from

No it's not a scam. You just got an excise tax reminder from our automated dialing system. More...
[Marijuana reform information (I-502)]

Taxes due on recreational marijuana

Find information on how taxes apply to marijuana businesses. More...

Find up-to-date information on recreational and medical marijuana in Washington State. More...

[Who owes use tax?]

Who owes use tax?
Maybe you!

If you've made purchases without paying Washington's sales tax, you may owe use tax. More...
Important 2016 tax legislation changes
[Alternative text]


Watch video Video

More information

[Alternative text]
Launch video

Other helpful information

Department of Revenue
Contact us

Labor and Industries:

Employment Security:
Print a list of web resources (pdf)

[Alternative text]

How to prepare for an audit

A guide for small businesses


   Watch video Video

More information

[Alternative text]
View video