home home Get a form or publication home Publications by subject home Tax Topics home Home rental for less than 30 days? Home rental for less than 30 days?

You may owe sales tax on a short-term rental, including RV camping/parking. 

The U.S Open Golf Championship is headed to Washington in 2015. We know homeowners and real estate professionals are already preparing and making home rental and RV camping reservations for visiting guests. 

Sales tax needs to be collected on all home rentals and RV camping when a real estate professional is involved in collecting the rental amounts. If a real estate professional is not involved, the homeowner is responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax on their third short-term rental, see Short Term Home and Room Rentals. The rental needs to be less than 30 days. The state tax rate is 6.5 percent. The local tax rate depends on where the rental property is located. Questions? Contact the Department of Revenue at 800-647-7706. Or you can visit the following links:

  • Short Term Home and Room Rentals
  • Lodging Information and Rate Changes
  • Lodging Guide
  • Lookup Tool
  • RCW 82.08.010(2)(a)